Bathtub Refinishing FAQs
How much will I save with bathtub refinishing as opposed to replacement?
Refinishing your bathtub with Best Refinishers will save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars over bathtub replacement. While a brand new bathtub may only cost $300, there can often be several hidden costs to replacement such as removal and disposal cost, plumbing alterations, and tile work. These costs add up, and you can easily end up spending nearly $2,500 to replace your bath tub. The cost of refinishing varies depending on the size of your tub.
How long does the bathtub refinishing process take?
Our refinishing process typically only takes 4-5 hours to complete. Your bathtub will usually be ready within another 4-5 hours after that, depending on factors like ambient temperatures and humidity. Why wait days or even weeks for a contractor to replace your bathtub when you can get the same results in only 8-10 hours?
How long will my bathtub last?
The durability of a bathtub refinished by Best Refinishers is very similar to that of a brand new bathtub. If properly maintained and no abrasive chemicals are used for cleaning it will last you 10-15 years just as a brand new bathtub would.
Does Best Refinishers offer a warranty or guarantee?
Best Refinishers offers an industry leading 10 year written guarantee for all of our work. Most refinishing companies offer industry-standard warranties which are pro-rated, meaning that the warranty's coverage decreases incrementally over time. Unlike these warranties, our guarantee covers 100% of any defects in workmanship or materials throughout the entire life of the guarantee.
How do I care for and clean my refinished bathtub?
Refinished bathtubs are often easier to clean than the original product. Make sure you use mild, non-abrasive cleaning products. Just as with a new bathtub, the finish or shine can be dulled by abrasive cleaners.
Will my refinished bathtub look like it has been painted?
This is a common myth in the bathtub refinishing industry. Your bathtub will not look like it was painted, since the material we use is more like a coating than a paint. In fact, our technicians pride themselves on the fact that it is quite difficult for an untrained eye to tell the difference between a brand new bathtub and one that has been refinished by Best Refinishers.
Will my refinished bathtub smell like it has been painted?
Our technicians come equipped with full ventilation systems to expunge the fumes that do naturally occur with the use of solvents. Although you may notice a slight odor after we are finished, this typically is gone in a few hours.
Q.What should I do to prepare before your arrival?
- Fix any water leaks from your tub’s faucet.
- Remove your personal items from the bathroom.
- Remove shower curtains from the bathroom.
- Identify a window or door within 25 feet that opens and the screen removed so our exhaust hose can vent outdoors.
- A clean bathroom is always appreciated; we will leave it just as clean.
- A clear work space near the bathroom in the hallway. Anything you remove from the bathroom should not be placed directly outside the bathroom but off to the side or into another room. Our technicians need the space outside the bathroom to setup their equipment.
- Please no other construction or cleaning services happening while we are refinishing. Since we are spraying a wet epoxy onto a newly cleaned and prepped surface we require a dust free environment for best results.
- We need about 12″ of clearance all around area to be refinished. If you have a bath vanity or toilet closer than that, consider removing it prior to our appointment so we can refinish behind or alongside it.
- If you will be getting your tile walls done around the whole bathroom, it’s best to remove all cabinets, mirrors, and toilet tank so we can spray behind them (Leave the toilet base attached unless replacing).
- Be sure that all other work that you are planning in the bathroom is completed first such as tile and plumbing work. It’s a great time to replace your drain and overflow if needed OR take a look at our drain cover we can install for you.
- New painting, wallpaper, carpet and showers doors should be done after refinishing is complete and cured. Damage may occur while working around a newly resurfaced bathtub with tools, ladders, spills, etc. Always protect your bathroom fixtures with padding, while working around them.
- Be sure there is electricity and water available, which will be needed for our prep work.
- In colder months, the house MUST be at a minimum of 65 degrees the day before and after refinishing.
- Please confine your pets until our technician has completed the work.
Q. What do I do after your technician is gone?
- The surface must remain dry until cured. This is 10 hrs after work has been completed for any solid color and 24 hours for Stone Finishes.
- Remove any masking tape and paper after 24 hrs.
- Reinstall any hardware such as drains, faucets, handles, etc. after surface has cured.
- Caulking must be re-applied after the drying period.
- You must never use bathmats with suction cups! Any suction cups can damage the finish.
- When cleaning, use only a non-abrasive cleaner. Remove cleaner thoroughly after use. We recommend Simple Green diluted 50% and cleaned with a sponge. Do not use cleaners with bleach.
- Do not store soaps, shampoo, bath oil, shaving cream, etc on bathtub or rim. Chemicals in these products can damage the finish over time. A hanging shower caddy will work great keeping items off the surface and away from the finish.
- Repair any leaky faucets at once. Dripping water will cause premature wear and rust around drain.
- Take care pouring any liquid drain opener directly into drain, making sure not to spill any on the finished surface.
- Most surface dust will dissipate in 3-4 weeks with normal cleaning and usage. Do not pick surface dust off with finger.